I’ve been searching for curtains for months and every time I came across something I loved, the price tag made me run away. Since I wasn’t going to shell out $50+ for window coverings, I had to come up with a DIY solution.
Back in college, my mom used a flat bed sheet to create a closet “door” for me, but I wasn’t having luck this time around. A fabric shower curtain (like this one from Target) would also do the trick, but the majority are 72″, i.e. not long enough for my window. I finally decided to suck it up and make my own patterned fabric, using the photo below as inspiration.
- white curtains from IKEA
- acrylic paint
- fabric medium
- foam stencil brush
I moved all the furniture out of our dining area and set up my
Dexter kill room craft area. I got some paint on the curtain before I even started so that determined where to place my first stencil. After that, I just eyeballed where to put the next one and worked a diagonal pattern from there.
Since these store-bought curtains are 98″, they’re a little longer than I need so the blue line of tape marks roughly where they should be hemmed – using iron-on, no-sew hem tape of course.
Here’s an close up of my beloved stencil – it’s the Georginian Motif SSO2078 from Stencil Ease. It’s listed for $11 or so online but I picked it up at AC Moore for under $8.
I painted one panel on Saturday night and the other on Sunday afternoon. It took about eight hours overall, but there were some stretch/laundry folding breaks in that time. R instagrammed this pic of me hard at work.
I absolutely love how they turned out but more importantly, I love how little they cost! Once I do a little more decorating and cleaning, I’ll share a wider shot of our bedroom so you can get the full experience.
Even though this project took a lot of time, the elbow grease put into these homemade curtains is totally worth it for the finished look. The total price (for both panels) is under $30, which is a steal when you consider that one panel from Target or West Elm can cost at least $25.
If you follow me on Twitter then you saw that this weekend, I also found the perfect dresser to transform into a campaign chest, first mentioned here. I’ll give you the full run down once I’m finished but for now, here’s a sneak peek my find!