When I was coming up with snack options for our NYE pajama party, I started by looking in the cabinets to see what was already there. I had two cans of black olives (not sure why, they were probably on sale) and decided to try my hand at olive tapenade. I remembered the yummy tapas dish on Gordon Biersch‘s menu and settled on tapenade, tomato bruschetta, and roasted garlic cloves.
- 1 cup black olives (or 1/2 black + 1/2 green)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp capers
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (or to taste)
- Blend everything together in a food processor until the mixture is only slightly chunky.
Tomato bruschetta recipe: (it called for plum tomatoes but I used what I had)
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, diced with seeds removed
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp basil (I used oregano and a pinch of cilantro)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Stir it all together and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Pre-heat oven to 400
- Cut top of garlic head
- Coat with extra virgin olive oil
- Wrap in foil and back for 35 minutes or until soft
- Squeeze cloves out once it cools!
I served these alongside some toasted bread and crackers. It was such an easy dish to make and I’d do it again in a heartbeat, or maybe this weekend for the Redskins playoff game!