It’s been a while since I shared a recipe but I made these delicious stuffed peppers last night and decided it was time to spread the yum. This recipe comes from Skinny Taste and I only altered two elements.
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp cilantro or parsley
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 or 3 bell peppers
- 1 cup fat free chicken broth
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups rice, cooked
- drizzle of olive oil
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Saute garlic, onion, parsley/cilantro in oil for two minutes.
- Add ground turkey and season with salt, garlic powder, cumin. Cook until browned.
- Add tomato sauce and 1/2 cup chicken broth and simmer for five minutes.
- Combine rice and meat.
- Halve bell peppers and remove seeds, place in baking dish.
- Spoon meat/rice mixture into peppers and fill as much as you can.
- Pour remaining 1/2 cup chicken broth in baking dish.
- Cover with foil, cook for 35 minutes.
- Top with cheese and enjoy!
As for what I did differently? Well, I didn’t have any chicken stock. Adding that on my “always have in the cabinet” list. Turns out you can use 1 tbsp soy sauce plus water to equal one cup in lieu of chicken stock. I also didn’t have tomato sauce but I did have pasta sauce. Same thing, right?
I added a few dashes of hot sauce to the peppers after they came out of the oven. It might be because I bought 99% fat free turkey but it needed a little something.
Just a warning…you will have a lot of leftover rice and meat. This isn’t a problem, it’s just more yum.